Wednesday 29 August 2012

Potato Sandwich (Smørrebrød)






Potato sandwich is a typical Danish smørrebrød - a slice of rye bread with topping.
One day in the beginning of our marriage, I was wondering if cheese, ham, humus and other sandwich fillings all ready were finished, because my husband made ​​sandwiches out of yesterday's boiled potatoes!

He cut the cold, boiled potato into slices, placed them on the slice of dark bread, squeezed some of the mayonnaise over the potatoes, and decorated the potato sandwich with watercress and onion slices.

But as I tasted the bread, I was lo longer wondering ... it tasted really good!

 


 
I met a friend of mine in the afternoon in a cafe by the lake Sortedam-lake in downtown. We sat outside in the sunshine, chatting and admiring the swans on the lake.

The wind was getting stronger, so we decided to go indoors, where we ordered the Potato Sandwich of the House (Husets Kartoffel-Smørrebrød). Potato sandwich is so large that we asked for two sets of utensils, and cut the bread in half. Radish, potato, onion and rye bread tasted good - together with the mayonnaise, that underlined the taste in a nice way.





Potato sandwich

Ingredients:
1 slice rye bread
some margarine or butter to smear a thin lace on the bread
3 boiled potatoes, sliced ​​(cold)
3 small radishes, sliced
half a red onion, lightly chopped
3 cherry tomatoes, halved
slightly crispy salad (frisee / iceberg.)
chives
mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:
1. Smear a slice of rye bread with margarine or butter.
2. Put a leave of salad on the bread.
3. Coat the bread with potato slices, so that the bread slice is totally covered. 
4. Squeeze or spoon some mayonnaise on the potatoes.
5. Arrange the cherry tomato halves on top of the mayonnaise.
6. Sprinkle the onion, leek and radish on bread, together with a pinch of salt and pepper.


Potato-sandwich is easy to make, and you get to use the potato leftovers from the day before. You can decorate the potato-sandwich with anything you've got in the fridge. You can variate the taste with fresh herbs and various pickles.

Potato sandwich is an excellent pack-lunch, together with a salad or some vegetables.






The sun was setting down, as we said goodbye.
Seagulls were screaming above the lake as I jumped on a bike,
and biked home with a tailwind at my back.

4 comments:

  1. I would have never thought of using potatoes in a sandwich. This actually looks delicious. My husband loves potatoes, I will have to tell him about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was something new to me as well!
      I hope your husband likes the taste of the potato sandwich :-)

      Delete
  2. Hi Carole, thank you for the tip, I linked this post to your Food on Friday! I need to pop by your blog each Friday - a lovely blog hop you have!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for linking this in to Food on Friday. We are now getting quite a collection of potato dishes together. Do stop by some of the other links to check them out!

    I have just signed up to follow your blog. A follow back to Carole's Chatter would be wonderful – or have you already followed? Cheers

    Ps If you would like email reminders of future Food on Fridays, just pop by and comment and include your email - I won't publish it - and the reminder will be by bcc so it will remain private

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//